Recovery – Settlement or Court Award

Recovery of Losses

Who Can Be Compensated and for What?

One question that ultimately arises when someone is injured in a car accident is who is entitled to recover and for what.

A. Injured Party or Legal Guardian on Behalf of Injured Party:

It goes with out saying that the injured party is entitled to recover for his injuries, but to what extent? In the event that the injured party is a minor or otherwise incompetent, the parent, legally appointed conservator or guardian may also bring an action on behalf of the injured person. The injured person may be entitled to be compensated for the following:

1. Medical Expenses – past and future;

2. Lost Wages – wages you would have received if not having to take time off of work due to your injuries;

3. Pain and Suffering – past and future;

4. Loss of Function – loss of use of your injured body parts;

5. Permanent Scarring and Disfigurement; and

6. Loss of Future Earning Capacity

B. Next of Kin – Estate:

In the unfortunate event that a person is killed as a result of a car or auto accident, the Estate or Next of Kin may bring a legal action against the responsible party on behalf of the deceased for:

1. Medical expenses incurred prior to passing;

2. Pain and suffering prior to passing if death is not instantaneous;

3. Present Worth of Estate – present value of the additional amounts that the deceased individual could reasonably be expected to have accumulated as a result of his own effort if he/she had lived out the term of his/her natural life; and

4. Burial Expenses

C. Spouse and Child Compensation – Loss of Consortium:

Often times when a person is injured in any type of accident, their personal lives suffer and considerable strain is put on their spouse and children.

Spousal Consortium: Spousal consortium refers to the services and benefits of a marital companion. This includes benefit of company, assistance and affection and generally the good things about marriage. This includes things like having to take on additional tasks around the house, not being able to go on trips or engage in other activities normally done as a couple, decreased intimacy, or even those quit peaceful evenings talking over a nice dinner that can no longer occur because of the injuries. Spousal consortium is designed to compensate the uninjured spouse for the additional challenges arising from assisting and residing with the uninjured spouse.

Children: Much like spousal consortium, parental consortium is permitted to compensate the children of the injured party for the loss of services of the parent. This encompasses the benefits of a healthy parent/child relationship including guidance, love, comfort, security and so on. It is not limited to only minor children. Even adult children may recover under this theory if the factual basis is met. Likewise, if it is a child that is injured, parents are entitled to recover loss of consortium. Parents may also recover for the loss of the services of their adult children.

D. Bystander:

In certain limited situations, a bystander may recover damages for emotional distress incurred as a result of being physically present and observing the accident occur. In these situations, the bystander must be exposed to the danger and must suffer emotional distress consistent with what would be reasonably expected by the danger caused by the offending party. This recovery ordinarily requires that the recovering individual be closely related to the injured party.

The Spokane, Washington Law Firm of Robert Hahn is one of the leading firms in the area of Personal Injury Law. Our personal Injury clients have the peace of mind in knowing that their case is being handled by an experienced Plaintiffs injury attorney. Our aggressive representation and extensive experience has earned the firm of Robert C. Hahn, III, a stellar reputation for excellence in the representation of injured people.  Robert Hahn’s goal is to provide excellent service by a highly experienced lawyer and legal professionals at an affordable fee.

After helping hundreds of injured people ranging from complex litigation to simple settlement of claims in Spokane and surrounding areas, Spokane Attorney Robert Hahn has the background to explain your alternatives and suggest a solution to your injury difficulties.If you are considering hiring a personal injury attorney, make sure that the attorneys you are considering practice in personal injury law because you need a law firm that deals with these issues on a daily basis.

Our attorneys represent clients in Western Washington, Spokane, Washington and other Eastern Washington communities, including Cheney, Clarkston, Colfax, Colville, Davenport, Ephrata, Moses Lake, Newport, Odessa, Pullman, Ritzville, Republic, Ione, Chewelah, Newport, Metaline Falls Wenatchee, Seattle, Spokane, Yakima and Walla Walla. Our attorneys also represent clients in North Idaho, including Bonners Ferry, Coeur d Alene, Hayden, Lewiston, Moscow, Post Falls, Sandpoint, Wallace, Priest River, Plummer, St. Maries and Potlatch. Our lawyers work in all Spokane County, and surrounding Spokane areas, including Downtown Spokane, North Spokane, South Spokane, East Spokane and West Spokane court systems. Our laywers practice in the Spokane Superior Court, Spokane District Court, Spokane Municipal Court, and the Spokane Valley Municipal Court systems.

For those in need of an injury attorney in Spokane, Robert Hahn represents clients for personal injury, spinal injury, traumatic brain injury, whiplash injury, wrongful death, soft tissue injury, workplace injury, construction injury, injuries to children, serious catastrophic injuries, burn injuries, dog bite injury, animal injuries. Many accidents cause undiagnosed long term permanent damages like, ear injuries, eye injuries, head injury, ankle injury, foot injury, leg injury, hip injury, shoulder injuries, arm injury, elbow injuries, knee injury, fractured pelvis injury, fractures hip injury, broken hip injury, paraplegia, paralysis, burst fracture, herniated disc injury, back injury, spinal fusion, laminectomy injury, head injury, skull fracture, concussions injury. If you are in the need a lawyer in Spokane for a permanent injury, playground injuries, daycare injuries, nursing home injury or abuse, medical malpractice, negligence, insurance claims or insurance disputes contact a lawyer at our Spokane law firm by using the contact us button above. Spokane attorney Robert Hahn represents clients injured in an auto accident, truck accident, construction accident, pedestrian accident, fatal accident, accident caused by cell phone use, commercial truck accident, semi-truck accident, and 18-wheeler accidents. Our lawyers focus on rear-end car collisions, intersection car collision, t-bone car collision, motorcycle collision, drunk driving auto accident, teen car driving accident, boating accident, slip and fall accident, school bus accident, car or truck roll over accident, accident cause by a negligent driver, interstate accident, highway accident, multiple car accidents. If you are in need of a lawyer in Spokane for a side impact car collision, garbage truck accident, commercial bus accident, long haul truck collision, railroad crossing accidents, train accident, mining accident, lumber mill accident, logging accident, improperly marked crossing accident, design defect caused accidents, car malfunction, auto malfunction, motorcycle malfunction, single vehicle crash, multiple vehicle crash, driver error crash, employer negligence accident, third party liability claims, or insurance claims or insurance disputes, contact a lawyer at our Spokane law firm by using the contact us button above.