Radiofrequency Neurotomy: The Procedure
Radiofrequency neurotomy is a treatment used to alleviate pain from a facet joint injury, usually incurred during a car accident. Facet joints are situated at each vertebral level of the spine. Each joint is connected to two medial nerves. The medial nerves transmit signals from the spine to the brain and the rest of the body.
- The doctor, using x-ray guidance, inserts the needle parallel to and against the targeted nerve.
- An intermittent electrical current is delivered; creating a heat lesion, interrupting the pain signals to the brain. The current cannot be a continuous flow because that could damage the ganglion (nerve bundle) or surrounding tissue.
- Over the next 10-14 days the nerve dies; hopefully, providing the patient with full pain relief within 2-3 weeks.
Radiofrequency Neurotomy: Potential Complications
Radiofrequency neurotomy is not a cure for your injury; it is a treatment. It is a treatment that is effective for an average of only 11 months. That means you will have to have RFN repeated multiple times during your lifetime.
With all medical procedures, there are risks and potential complications. The associated complications with RFN are:
- pain at the site of injection
- numbness at the site of injection
- increased facet joint pain due to muscle spasms
- permanent nerve damage
The Spokane, Washington Law Firm of Robert Hahn is one of the leading firms in the area of Personal Injury Law. Our personal Injury clients have the peace of mind in knowing that their case is being handled by an experienced Plaintiffs injury attorney. Our aggressive representation and extensive experience has earned the firm of Robert C. Hahn, III, a stellar reputation for excellence in the representation of injured people. Robert Hahn’s goal is to provide excellent service by a highly experienced lawyer and legal professionals at an affordable fee.
After helping hundreds of injured people ranging from complex litigation to simple settlement of claims in Spokane and surrounding areas, Spokane Attorney Robert Hahn has the background to explain your alternatives and suggest a solution to your injury difficulties.If you are considering hiring a personal injury attorney, make sure that the attorneys you are considering practice in personal injury law because you need a law firm that deals with these issues on a daily basis.